When I was looking for a preschool for our son a few months back, I searched the net for information on one of the preschools inside the University of the Philippines Diliman. I was unable to get enough info that I was craving for, so here I am sharing with you details that I got when we visited the school last year. I hope that this will help you in your preschool hunting. Please contact the school directly for updated and correct information.
There are a few preschools inside UP Diliman and one of them is under a catholic church - the Parish of the Holy Sacrifice Outreach Program (PHSOP) Preschool. You won't miss this one since it is just behind the church (adjacent to Shopping Center). This preschool caters to children aged 2.8 to 6 years old. They offer the following class levels:
- Junior Nursery - 2.8 yrs old
- Senior Nursery - 3.5 to 4 yrs old
- Junior Kinder - 4.5 to 5 yrs old
- Senior Kinder - 5 to 6 yrs old
The fees of PHSOP is relatively cheap - less than Php 20,000 a year. The school has basic facilities and a playroom. Note that when we checked it late last year, their rooms don't have air-conditioning. For some moms, this may not work for you and your child.
The little boys have white polo (with logo) and khaki shorts for their uniforms. While little girls have white blouse with baby collar (with logo) and checkered red/white pants. The kids also get to wear their PE uniforms which is a white t-shirt with PHSOP logo and maroon jogging pants (so UP!)
Here's why I liked their school (and almost enrolled my child):
- Nursery class is only for 2 hours a day. Kinder classes are a bit longer - 2.5 hours a day. Kids enrolled here are too young for a 'real'class so I think the hours given would cover much of their play and interaction time
- They offer conferences and seminars on Christian parenting
- Socialization with values formation is one of their features. Focuses on Christian-living. In fact, when we were there, the kids were practicing a song they will sing for the mass. Cute!
PHSOP also offers summer classes. This is a good opportunity to test the waters if your child is ready for school. The fee for summer class is less than Php 4,000.
There's a child readiness assessment that will be done and the issuance of application forms started last February 18. Here are the requirements:
- accomplished application form
- Birth Certificate (NSO copy); original and photocopy
- 3 pcs. 2x2 colored ID pictures of the child
- assessment fee of Php 350
Registration period starts this month.
Parish of the Holy Sacrifice Outreach Program
Apacible St., UP Campus
Diliman, Quezon City
Tel No. 436-3429