I learned bout the Phonics-in-Reading (PIR) books through the blog of Mommy Teresa, the head of HOPE (Hands-On Parents while Earning). My son was just 3 years old then and has just started to learn phonics. It was only after a year that I went back to her blog and looked for PIR books.
The first PIR books we got were from another homeschooling family who were selling their preloved books. I really liked the PIR books that I have decided to buy all the books for Series 1 and 2.
What is Phonics-in-Reading?
Phonics-in-Reading is a series of books with short stories that introduce phonics and easy sight words. They were made for beginning readers like preschoolers and for older kids struggling to read. The books offers fun stories that entertain any readers.
These books were published in Malaysia and was written by May S.M. Mah. Locally, it is being distributed by WS Pacific Publications.
Each series compose of 10 books. They are systematically written where stories grow in length as the reader improve his reading skills.
The first 5 books of this series have 2 short stories each focusing on short vowel sounds. While books 6-10 focuses on long vowel sounds
- Book 1: Cat On the Mat & Dan and Nan
- Book 2: Vet in a Jet & Ben and Red Hen
- Book 3: Cat's Big Wig & The Tin Bin
- Book 4: Pop and His Dog & Fox in the Box
- Book 5: Pup in the Mud & Bug in the Mud
- Book 6: May and Jay Stay Away from the Rain
- Book 7: Green Frog and the Bee
- Book 8: Mike and His Kite
- Book 9: Joe and Doe on a Boat
- Book 10: Sue's Birthday
Books 1-4 focuses on consonant blends, books 5 & 6 on double L consonants, and books 7-10 features consonant digraphs.
- Book 1: Fred Frog and Drab Crab
- Book 2: Blue Cow Goes Out to Play
- Book 3: Snobby Snail and Smarty Snake
- Book 4: Sweety Swan and the Starfish
- Book 5: What Does Charlie the Chimp See?
- Book 6: Nell and Dell at the Ball Game
- Book 7: Bill and Jill
- Book 8: Rick and His Tricks
- Book 9: A Duck's Luck
- Book 10: The King and the Ring
Parts of the Book
- Pre-reading Practice
Introduces word lists before the stories. These words are also used throughout the series.
- Short Story
- Comprehension and Word Review Worksheets
- Tips for Teachers and Parents
As we progressed with the series, I saw a great improvement on my son's reading skills and confidence. Before he would hesitate to read aloud on his own. By the time he was half-way done with the program, he'd initiate to pick up a book and read it aloud for us. He even rereads the books we've finished. He really liked the stories and how each intertwined with the other characters in the successive books. The decodable short sentences has helped him gain confidence and increase his interests in reading independently.
Where to Buy?
We bought our books at Metro Department Store at UP Town Center at Php54.75 each. They don't have Series 2, though so I had the second series bought online. I purchased them through the online store of WS Pacific Publications: learningisfun.com
Do you have other phonics-based progressive chapter books to recommend? Please let me know in the comments below! :)